Write a 250-word (minimum) response to each writing prompt below. You must meet the minimum word count for each response to get full credit.
Use only the assigned readings unless otherwise instructed.
Your responses must include quotes from each text used to get full credit. Be sure to quote, cite, and reference from the text(s) using appropriate APA format. For assistance with APA citations, review the “APA Format” link (go to “Start Here” and then “Course Resources”).
Put all writing assignments in ONE Microsoft Word document, and identify your work by using your last name in the file name (example: LastnameWeek1.docx). Upload it by clicking on the “W1 Writing Assignments” link below and upload the file as an attachment.
***Submissions that are not in accepted file formats or cut and pasted into the comments section of the submission area will not be accepted. Please check to be sure your file has uploaded correctly. It is your responsibility to verify that you submitted the assignment successfully. Do not wait until you see a zero in the gradebook!
1. Franklin and Red Jacket both support and defend the Native Americans. What arguments do they make in common? What prompted the writing of each piece? Do you find both authors reliable? Why or why not?
2. Thomas Paine’s Common Sense is an argumentative essay. What argument is Paine making? How does he structure his argument? What do YOU think is his most persuasive point and why? NOTE: You MUST include the exact quote that you found the most persuasive.
3. Dickinson and Whitman are two important poets from the antebellum period. They are very different, both in terms of form (what their poetry looks like on the page) and content. Write a comparison, using poems from the assigned reading, that includes at least three terms defined in the Poetry Lecture in Week 1, as well as the poets’ purpose in writing. What messages are they trying to convey in their poetry? Are they successful? Of the two poets, which one do you prefer and why?
Choose a different author from the list below for each question. Use each author only once.
A. F. Scott Fitzgerald (“Babylon Revisited”) B. Willa Cather (“Neighbor Rosicky”)
1. How would you describe the protagonist in the work of your first author? Clearly identify three of the protagonist’s most important characteristics and supply examples that support your idea.
2. Using the definitions from the course lectures, discuss how the idea of naturalism or modernism is depicted in your author’s work. For naturalism, you will be looking for ways that the characters are portrayed as victims of their society or economy. For modernism, you will be looking for ways the text challenges traditional ideas and/or portrays the failure of the American Dream. Give examples of the particular period you find in the story or poems.
1-In “Cathedral,” how would you describe the relationship between the narrator and his wife? Do you think their relationship will change after this experience? What do you feel is the significance of the Robert’s lack of vision?
2. Look at Alice Walker’s “Everyday Use” and explain how the quilts in the story symbolize the family’s heritage. How do Dee and Maggie view the significance of the family’s heritage, and how is that represented by the quilts in the story?