Create and write an essay or paper about any combination of the following questions about Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Fall of the House of Usher.” You may write about one, two, or all of the questions. The choice is yours .Your work should be about 4-5 double-spaced pages in length. You should quote freely from the story and use any outside resources (if you wish) to prove your thesis. This paper is due no later than Wednesday, June 24.
- How does Poe use setting as a Gothic element in “The Fall of the House of Usher”?
- How do the physical descriptions of the house’s exterior relate to the characters’ states of mind? to Roderick? to Madeline? To the Usher family?
- How does Poe portray family in “The Fall of the House of Usher”?
- In Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Fall of the House of Ushers,” can you recall any forms of stereotypically female characteristics that are attributed to Roderick and why Poe does this?
- How can we describe Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Fall of the House of Usher” as radiant and funereal at the same time?
- Describe the way in which Poe develops a sense of horror and fear in the tale.